As of today, October 2, 2020, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has adjusted its fee schedule. Most fees have increased by about 5% for large, small, and micro-entities alike, with larger increases related to AIA trials and patent maintenance.
The USPTO attributes the fee increases to enhanced quality and timeliness of examination and investment in modernizing their IT infrastructure. They also state that the new fee structure will help stabilize their operations in this difficult economic climate.
The complete updated fee schedule may be viewed at https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/fees-and-payment/uspto-fee-schedule
Notable Fee Changes:
- A request for expedited examination of a design application for large entities has increased from $900 to $1,600.
- The issue fee for large entities has increased from $1,000 to $1,200.
- The maintenance fee surcharge for late payment for large entities has increased from $160 to $500.
- The inter partes review (IPR) request fee has increased from $15,500 to $19,000, and the post-institution fee has increased from $15,000 to $22,500 (up to 20 claims).
- The post-grant review (PGR) and covered business method (CBM) request fee has increased from $16,000 to $20,000, and the post-institution fee has increased from $22,000 to $27,500 (up to 20 claims).
For more information please call the attorneys at Ference & Associates at +1 412-741-8400 or send an email here https://www.ferencelaw.com/contact/